Skip to main content

iPad Lab Reflection - Year 1

For those of you that have been following along with my iPad journey, I wanted to reach out and share my thoughts on our first year with an iPad lab. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you might want to start here

Brief Overview of our goals: I work at a K-12 private school. We purchased 21 iPads (5th Gen) to suit the needs of our 1st - 4th grade classes. The way that our school does electives, I went to each class one day a week for 40 minutes. When the iPad cart wasn't in use (3rd-7th period each day), teachers were able to "rent it out" from me for full use in their classroom. I had two teachers that did this weekly from day 1, and a few others took advantage of it throughout the year. 

Recommendations: 
1. Buy big iPads. We set up Apple Classroom on each of the iPads and because each student had their own log in, it stores each profile as it's own app owner and in turn saved each app 8 times (one for each class). We quickly realized that this was consuming so much storage so we spent a lot of time adding and deleting apps in an attempt to save the most room possible. I would sometimes forget what we deleted and want to go back and use it later in the year and wouldn't be able to. 

2. Plan ahead. Again, it isn't super easy to add apps to each iPad. I didn't really know what to expect with an iPad mobile lab so I didn't do a ton of planning ahead of time. I wish that I would've done more research on apps that I wanted to use, because it would've made sense to teach some of them in a different order. 

3. If you don't use Google Classroom (or the like), invest in teaching your kids to use Seesaw. What I love about Seesaw is that your students can turn in any work that they do on the iPads into you. I love that they can share their work with one another and even comment and give constructive feedback to one another. At the beginning of the year, I wasn't using Seesaw and was having a hard time collecting the work that the students were doing. If they know that they aren't turning it in, then they don't give it their best effort. Adding Seesaw and collecting everything they did (done or not) was one of the best decisions that I made this year. 

4. Be PATIENT. This is a learning curve. You are going into another teacher's classroom to work in their environment. Whether you like it or not, their classroom management styles overflow into your technology time. Also, there are days when all the apps will crash, when the internet won't work, or when half the students won't listen to your directions. Just breathe. Take it one day at a time.

5. Allow for some "fun time" or "free days" for those classes that need that extra push. One thing that I loved to do with my classes was allow them 2-3 minutes of 'fun time' on their devices if they had good behavior all class. This wasn't complete free reign of the iPad, but it was allowing them to choose an app that we have worked on before to play on. I typically didn't let them on the internet because it is just far too much to manage. If they were talking when I was or off topic or not paying attention, I would take their free minutes away one minute at a time. This was an effective classroom management strategy for me. With my lower grades who don't move to apps as quickly and wouldn't benefit from 2-3 minutes of fun time, I instituted 'free days'. This would be once (maybe) a quarter when they got to pick any app to play on during class time. I would take time away from this day, and I even ended it early a few times due to behavior. These were just simple ideas that worked for me to get kids to stay on task and follow directions. 

Have you tried an iPad lab in your classroom? If you have, let me know!
- Hilary 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Teacher Halloween Costumes

As we prep for Halloween, I wanted to share with you some super easy costume ideas that I have found that I think our students would enjoy. I have linked them all to their original source (if I could find it) so you can read any helpful hints they might have posted. Emojis Smarty Pants If You Give A Mouse a Cookie (& friends) Monsters University Winnie the Pooh Crew Cookie Monster Thing 1 & 2 M&Ms What are you dressing up as for Halloween? - Hilary 

Build Your Wild Self {Animal Adaptations}

Build Your Wild Self  was a site that I just stumbled upon, but was probably one of my students favorite activities that we did all year. Basically, students are able to create themselves by playing with their body, hair, eyes, mouth, clothes. They can then make themselves "wild" by adding headgear, ears, face, arms, bottoms, backsides, and tails that are all body parts of wild animals. This activity isn't all fun though - there is educational value too! Once the students are done creating their "wild self" they will click I'M DONE. This will take them to the next page where it will explain to the students what is "wild" about them. It will tell them where their wild parts came from and why those parts are important to the survival of that particular animal. So there you have it - educational and a ton of fun! Just wait to see what kind of creatures your students come up with! It will be entertaining, I guarantee you that much. Try it ou

Dot & Dash - Programming Robots in Lower Elementary

Last summer I was prepping for a summer camp with a programming focus and wasn't finding everything that I needed through websites. What parent wants to pay for their kids to come to camp for 4 hours a day for them to sit in front of a computer the entire time. Even I get restless staring at my computer for that long! I knew that I wanted to keep that programming and coding focus while getting students out of their seats and moving around. Now there are SO many robot choices out there, but I was looking for ones that would run on software that was easily accessible, work on tablets or computers that we already had, and that were reasonably priced. We settled on these and do not regret it. There are apps that we installed on our class devices that are super easy to use. I had first graders using them within minutes of handing the devices over. We used the Go app to start to figure out the robots, and then built from there. The Go app basically just lets the students drive