Skip to main content

Goal Setting for 2018

As the year ends, I encourage you to reflect on both your personal and professional life. I am not super into "New Years Resolutions" because I know the statistics that say that most people have given up on them before the end of January. That being said, I decided to not set resolutions, but to set goals to meet that will further my career as an educator. I hope that this desire to get better will drive me to complete the tasks that I choose.

I have wanted to become Google Educator Certified for quite some time. This year, I got my Apple Teacher certification for both iPads and Macs and I became a Google Innovative Educator. Both of these courses are free and are a nice introduction to what these other courses are like. I continue to use the educator resources available to me through these certifications in my classroom often. If you have not done either of these courses, I encourage you to start with these.

Since I conquered these in the fall of this year, I am moving onto Google Education. I use the Google Suite with my K-5 kids during their technology elective time, so I think I know at least the basics, but am really looking forward to how I can learn more and how I can go paperless.

Another dream I have is to pass the Microsoft Office Certification test. I teach a course in Word & PowerPoint, but I have never once used Access. This is what has been holding me back from taking this test, but not anymore. I ordered the “Access for Dummies” book and am hoping that it will give me a crash course in what I need to know in order to learn how to use Access.

So essentially, my professional goals for 2018 are:
1.     Go more paperless than I was this year **
2.     Get Google Certified (Level 1)
3.     Get Microsoft Certified (MIT)
4.     Renew Florida Teaching Certification

**I love to use the terms “than this year” because it gives me something to work forward to that is reasonable. No one is perfect so to set very specific goals stress me out. If you need to pick the exact numbers of papers you are allowed to print for the week, then you do you boo. For me, I like to get better every year until I am where I need to be.  

&& my personal goals for 2018 are:
1.     Less Phone Time
2.     Cook more meals at home
3.     Be INTENTIONAL with those around me – let them know I care


To help you get on the right track with some goals for the coming year, ask yourself some of the following questions:
1.     What is something that I wish was more time effective in my classroom?
2.     What can I do to make me a more successful/more marketable teacher?
3.     What is something that stresses me out? How can I relieve that stress?
4.     What is something that I am passionate about that I do not put a lot of time into?

Lastly, I would encourage you to share these goals with someone so that they can hold you accountable. I have shared them with all of you (hold me accountable!), but also with my mom and my husband. I also hang them on the mirror that I get ready in front of every morning so that I am reminded of all that I am to accomplish that day.


Let me know what some of your goals are for this upcoming year,
Xoxo

Hilary  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy Teacher Halloween Costumes

As we prep for Halloween, I wanted to share with you some super easy costume ideas that I have found that I think our students would enjoy. I have linked them all to their original source (if I could find it) so you can read any helpful hints they might have posted. Emojis Smarty Pants If You Give A Mouse a Cookie (& friends) Monsters University Winnie the Pooh Crew Cookie Monster Thing 1 & 2 M&Ms What are you dressing up as for Halloween? - Hilary 

Build Your Wild Self {Animal Adaptations}

Build Your Wild Self  was a site that I just stumbled upon, but was probably one of my students favorite activities that we did all year. Basically, students are able to create themselves by playing with their body, hair, eyes, mouth, clothes. They can then make themselves "wild" by adding headgear, ears, face, arms, bottoms, backsides, and tails that are all body parts of wild animals. This activity isn't all fun though - there is educational value too! Once the students are done creating their "wild self" they will click I'M DONE. This will take them to the next page where it will explain to the students what is "wild" about them. It will tell them where their wild parts came from and why those parts are important to the survival of that particular animal. So there you have it - educational and a ton of fun! Just wait to see what kind of creatures your students come up with! It will be entertaining, I guarantee you that much. Try it ou

Dot & Dash - Programming Robots in Lower Elementary

Last summer I was prepping for a summer camp with a programming focus and wasn't finding everything that I needed through websites. What parent wants to pay for their kids to come to camp for 4 hours a day for them to sit in front of a computer the entire time. Even I get restless staring at my computer for that long! I knew that I wanted to keep that programming and coding focus while getting students out of their seats and moving around. Now there are SO many robot choices out there, but I was looking for ones that would run on software that was easily accessible, work on tablets or computers that we already had, and that were reasonably priced. We settled on these and do not regret it. There are apps that we installed on our class devices that are super easy to use. I had first graders using them within minutes of handing the devices over. We used the Go app to start to figure out the robots, and then built from there. The Go app basically just lets the students drive